Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Saving My Milk

As I'm writing this post, the little man is currently sleeping on his daddy's side of the bed. Since he's been sleeping after his morning bath and only wakes up to eat, I'm quite convinced that he's actually on a growth spurt. He's been feeding frequently too. From his usual every two hour schedule, he actually shifted to an every hour routine which also happened the week before he turned one month old. Kali don't actually believe my conclusion but I'm sticking to it and will continue to observe it up until the next month to prove it. And since Inno is turning two months already by the end of this week, I've decided to increase my milk supply... big time. There's actually no problem with my supply for Inno but since Kali is already asking me to try looking for a job soon, I thought that I should start storing milk for Inno and learn to use the pump which Ella and Imon lend us. I've tried using it before but since Inno was just on his first week back then, I thought that there's still no need to do some pumping since his stomach is not big yet. By the end of March, I wanted to know how much milk I have so I expressed milk manually. During that time, I only got one to almost 1.5 ounces for both breasts almost filling the Medela storage container that we have. I've read in some articles that the amount of milk a mom has for every pumping session is actually enough to meet the needs of her baby. Two weeks ago, I tried expressing manually again and was surprised when I almost filled a 4-oz feeding bottle. However, when I pumped earlier today, I noticed that I didn't even get to fill a 2.5-oz container and that worries me now since Inno is almost two months already and for sure his feeding needs will increase as well. I haven't told Kali about it because I know he'll worry too. To drop the anxiety, I decided to order some lactation cookies online baked by Paola Loot, the mom behind Mommy Treats. Before I could purchase these treats, I had to undergo some discussions with Kali which I actually looked forward to. Alongside my lactation cookies, I also ordered a cup for cupfeeding, an organic lactation tea and a box of milk storage bags via BabyMama. Kali has been telling me to start teaching Inno how to bottlefeed which I refuse to do so to keep Inno's sucking pattern the same. To be honest, it's quite hard to convince Kali to try innovations and alternatives. He thinks that I read to much mommy information that I end up wanting to try them all. Well, I wouldn't deny that. Hehe. But seriously, I want to really jump into cupfeeding instead of the classic bottlefeeding method. Inno was able to finish a meal using a cup the second time I tried to cupfeed him (he went wild during our first try!). I know I just have to be patient with him while he learns to lap on the cup. 


I'm on my way to my breastpumping journey soon. I really want to succeed on breastfeeding that's why I'm exploring all possible ways to help keep my milk supply high, Inno's sucking pattern the same thru alternative feeding methods and storing ample milk for him while I'm away. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?