Friday, February 8, 2013

Breastfeeding at 11mos: No regrets!

When I conceived Inno, I never really thought of breastfeeding him but also didn't ever consider giving him formula milk. My knowledge of breastfeeding is very much limited that time and I myself even question that small knowledge. Things like how would I position him to feed, do I really have enough milk, would it hurt and a lot more doubts flooded my mind most of the time and that triggered my quest for answers. I begun reading online resources about breastfeeding, proper latching, boosting my milk supply and what not to eat. I jot down notes and watch videos. A blog that thoroughly helped me on my journey is Jenny Ong's Chronicles of a Nursing Mom. It has mostly all the answers to my queries and a list of support groups that could help me on my way to breastfeeding. I am also thankful for having a sister-in-law who breastfed her kids. She was both an example and a challenge to me because from then on, I have always told myself that if she can do it, I can do it too. Having a mom and a sister who were not fans of breastfeeding is quite a disadvantage in a way but I am grateful because they were very much supportive of me when I took this leap. 

Just like in many other major things, it is also important to have a support system in breastfeeding. Why? Because it is not as easy as it seems (or atleast in the beginning) and a support system will definitely help you boost your confidence and guide you through your struggles. It is definitely easy to just say yes to formula milk because those who chose it say its more convenient, the mother could just buy a can, heat some water and rest or do whatever she wants not realizing that breastfeeding has it's perks too, perks that are way beyond convenience. Perks that you and your child will definitely be thankful for in the months ahead. Quick pre-pregnancy weight recovery, a boost in baby's immune system, a different kind of bond between the mother and the baby just to name a few. 


I have been breastfeeding Inno for  almost a year now. I'm proud of that and so far, I've been enjoying the benefits this journey has showered me. Imagine, in less than four months post pregnancy, I'm back to almost 110 lbs from my 150+lbs pregnancy weight without any physical exercise. You could assume that maybe I am just really slim even before I got pregnant that's why I just went back to my old shape, that's true but also consider that short time of four months. I could easily slid on my jeans without having to do a jumping jacks here and there. According to studies, breastfeeding helps bring the uterus (which expanded 500x it's size during pregnancy) back to it's original size which is normally just three inches long.

With Inno, he never really gets sick fast. Just this week, we went to the doctor to have his cough for almost two weeks already checked. His pedia was quite astonished due to the fact that his case was close to bronchitis already but still, he was active and haven't got fever. Usually kids who are already with this type of cough do suffer from high fever already just like the case of Inno's cousin who was confined in the hospital for two weeks after convulsing due to Pneumonia. The doctor mentioned that Inno indeed has great immunity and that I should continue breastfeeding him. 

In Kali's case, he is very much supportive of me breastfeeding mostly due to economical reasons. You may think it's vague but I really believe that it also is an economical issue in a country that has more poor households than rich ones. Not to boast or whatever, but if we choose, we could really afford to buy a can of milk every week or two. Yet, here we are, sticking to the old school and healthier way. You could say we are just being practical or kuripot, and yes, I will agree in a way because it's true. We save Php3,000-4,000 a month from not buying canned milk and a lot more from hospitalizations or unwanted check-ups due to low immune system. We get to spend the money we save from buying canned milk on other things like Inno's school, clothes and booster shots. 

I will forever endorse and support breastfeeding. If given the chance to be a certified breastfeeding expert or adviser, no questions, I'll grab it because I know there are a lot of moms and moms-to-be who are willing to or afraid to breastfeed due to lack of support or knowledge about it. I want to be someone who could help them and make them believe that they can do it. I've been afraid once, and when I found out about modern moms who practice it, I stopped feeling alone and started to believe that I'm also going to succeed at it and I am. 

Now at almost eleven months, I'm still enjoying the wonders and joy of breastfeeding. This is one of the choices that I will never regret making in my life. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?